Friday, March 11, 2011

Review of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

I've been reading the book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.

Basically the book is how a man, Jurgis, experiences reality within the 1900's as a working man. In the beginning he comes to America believing that he can experience the American Dream  and find peace prosperity and the pursuit of happiness. How sad it is when he and his family find out that America is nothing but deceit and everything that you could want in America whether good or criminal is based off of money. The book gets so gruesome as to his family dying because they don't have enough money. His wife dies from a pregnancy not properly treated by a doctor. His son works in a beer factory and falls asleep in the factory and gets locked up and eaten alive by rats. Jurgis' son falls into a faulty street that was way too deep and drowned in the water that was trapped down there.

All of these things show how money is the solution to solving everybody's dire problems. I always say that there shouldn't be not one person who suffers and if you're willing to let just one person suffer while everyone else prospers then let that person who is tormented with no money be you! I know that you will change your mind into supporting the equal money system with no qualms.

I want to say that life is better now in America, but then I happen to forget every other person in other countries who suffer the way Jurgis does if not worse. Why should I live a perfect life while people suffer in a way that I would dread experiencing. If I want to keep this capitalism system then I should let somebody else take my spot in America and I'll take their place in a poor part of Africa with no food and disease rampant and witnessing the misfortune of having no money.

Continuing on with Jurgis' story in the book "The Jungle".

Jurgis eventually meets up with a thief and becomes a thief himself. He learns the art of stealing and sort of tag teams with his new friend. Eventually after a while of pilfering he becomes a great thief and has enough money to protect himself even from jail time and he does this by bribing the police. Jurgis eventually tires of being a thief and wants a more stable job so he applies to be a fake contender in a political race. The other guy wins but then Jurgis desires to really become a politician but instead manages to get a extremely high paying job as manager of the meatpacking plant that he was first employed at. Now his job is simply to scream at employers and tell them what to do. He does this liberally and treats the employers the way his bosses treated him.

That one paragraph shows how money runs every single part of society including our almighty politicians. As long as they get paid somehow illegally or legally they are satisfied. This is the same thing with police back in the 1900's where they were bribed but now they aren't.

Why the Equal Money System? Read the book "The Jungle" and you will definitely be a little more persuaded towards and equal money system then before.

Click this link to read The Jungle online

No comments: